The IWG Global Executive of the International Working Group (IWG) on Women & Sport will meet in London, UK, this weekend. The 2019 Annual General Meeting will run from 7 – 9 June 2019 and is being kindly hosted and sponsored by a partnership between the British Olympic Association (BOA), British Paralympic Association (BPA), UK Sport and the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF).
Those in attendance will include:
- Raewyn Lovett, IWG Co-Chair – New Zealand
- Ruth Maphorisa, IWG Co-Chair – Botswana
- Rosa Diketmueller, International Association of Physical Education for Girls & Women (IAPESGW) Representative
- Diane Huffman, WomenSport International (WSI) Representative
- Matilda Mwaba, Africa Representative
- Karen Morrison, Americas Representative
- Etsuko Ogasawara, Asia Representative
- Niina Toroi, Europe Representative
- Emma Waiwai, Oceania Representative
- Lilamani de Soysa, Co-Opted Expert
- Game Mothibi, Co-Opted Expert
The AGM will be the first one led by the New Zealand Secretariat (Women in Sport Aotearoa), since New Zealand took over as host nation for the IWG Secretariat and Conference 2018 – 2022 last October. It will be led by Raewyn Lovett, IWG Co-Chair – New Zealand and Rachel Froggatt, IWG Secretary General. Lovett said:
“New Zealand is thrilled to be hosting our first AGM as the new Secretariat. I must express great appreciation to the British Olympic Association, British Paralympic Association, UK Sport and the Commonwealth Games Federation for hosting and sponsoring this meeting.
Its incredibly important to bring the IWG Global Executive together like this once a year, given their geographical spread – we have experts in gender equity in sport attending from as far away as Papua New Guinea, Japan, America and Botswana, not to mention New Zealand. I am very much looking forward to the strategic discussions to come.”
The AGM agenda includes planning for the 8th IWG World Conference, taking place 5-8 May 2022 in Auckland New Zealand; plus strategic development of the Brighton plus Helsinki 2014 Declaration on Women & Sport; evolution of the global network; development of IWG research and advocacy activity; plus other key IWG business for 2019-20.